One effective way to treat rheumatoid diseases and autoimmune disorders is infusion therapy. Rheumatology Care Center of Newtown Square provides on-site infusion therapies for the treatment of chronic conditions.
What is infusion therapy?
Infusion therapy provides patients with medication intravenously (IV). It is safe and effective for patients who have a severe condition that has not been managed by oral medications or if oral medications are not an option.
Where can I get infusion therapy?
Infusion therapy is offered in a comfortable setting within Rheumatology Care Center in Newtown Square, PA.
What conditions can be treated with infusion therapy?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Arthritis associated with Crohn’s Disease
What can I expect during infusion therapy?
Therapy is managed by Dr. Thais Moldovan and the experienced nurses here at Rheumatology Care Center. The staff is specially trained regarding all aspect of intravenous (IV) infusion including emergency procedures.
You will sit in a comfortable recliner during the therapy. You can nod off during the procedure or you can pass the time with a book, magazine, smart phone computer or ipad.
Is infusion therapy covered by insurance?
Medicare and most health insurance plans cover this type of therapy. We would be happy to contact your insurance company to determine your coverage.
What medications are used in infusion therapy?
- ACTEMRA ® is used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Actemra blocks the IL-6. When there is too much IL-6 in the body, an excessive amount of white blood cells are created and they attack the body and joints. This is only used after an anti-TNF (tumor necrosis factor) medication was been proven unsuccessful.
- BENLYSTA ® is for adults with active, systemic lupus erythematosus. BENLYSTA is a biologic therapy delivered through an IV infusion. It reduces specific cells in your immune system that can make lupus active. It is used in combination with other lupus medicines.
- BONIVA ® is a potent bisphosphonate drug used in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis patients. It works by slowing down bone loss to reduce the risk of fractures.
- ORENCIA ® – treats moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis by reducing pain and swelling in joints and by preventing further damage to the joints. It also works in children and adolescents with juvenile arthritis. Orencia has been approved for self-injections, but can be administered in the comfort of our infusion therapy center.
- REMICADE ® treats moderate to severely active Crohn’s Disease, pediatric crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, pediatric ulcerative colitis and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). It is also used for active psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and chronically severe plaque psoriasis. Visit the website to see how it works for each of these conditions or ask our staff.
- RITUXAN ® is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA) when anti-TNF (tumor necrosis factor) medication treatments have not been successful. Combined with methotrexate, it can improve symptoms for six months after two infusions.
- SIMPONI ARIA ® is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA). People with certain autoimmune diseases have too much TNF-alpha, a protein made by your body’s immune system. This can cause the immune system to attack parts of the body which can result in pain, stiffness, and swelling. SIMPONI ARIA® targets and binds with excess TNF-alpha, helping to block an underlying cause of the symptoms of RA.
As with any medications there are possible serious side effects. Visit the websites or consult your physician about the pros and cons of the medications listed above.